In 1996, a horrible sonic plague was unleashed upon the world. By this, I mean the song ‘Macarena’ by Los Del Rio. The song had a few mixes and covers, but the most played release was the Bayside Boys remix.
I dislike it for the following reasons:
- The repetitive accompaniment consisting of maybe four notes tops
- It would somehow sneak into playlists at parties and get a crowd into a retarded synchronised frenzy
- The song’s lyrics teach women that cheating on your boyfriend is a cool and fun thing to do
- The outfits of the women in the video
- Having the two old guys (who wrote the song) in the video was clearly an afterthought
- The fact that after this was a hit, they came back for a second money grab with the “Christmas Joy mix” that replaced the English portion with snippets of Christmas Carols.
For those of you who dislike this song as much as me, I bring you “F*** the Macarena” by MC Rage, courtesy of Youtube. It’s hardcore techno (gabba) and apparently was a hit in the Netherlands. Good on ’em.
WARNING: Profanity – use headphones if at work
Oh, and if you really need to be reminded of the original: